At FPC, the Deacons are officers of the church, ordained lay-people specifically called and set aside to show compassion in Jesus’ name. They oversee the congregation’s ministry of compassion to the sick, friendless, bereaved, and those in any way distressed. If you would like to be a part of one of the many congregational ministries of FPC, click here.
Our deacons coordinate and engage in a number of ministries, reaching out to the congregation and into the community:
- Meal Support is provided for those in the congregation who have new babies, or are ill, hospitalized, or have had a death in the family. Contact the church office if you or someone you care for would appreciate being cared for in this way, or if you’d be willing to take someone a meal.
- Love I.N.C. is a network of churches that helps meet peoples’ needs; FPC is part of that effort through our Food Closet ministry and in several other ways. If you need assistance, contact Love I.N.C. They will assess the need then make a referral to an area church or agency that can provide resources to help. Click here to learn more about Love I.N.C.
- Prayer is our first caring response to every need. It has been said, "You can do more than pray, after you have prayed, but you cannot do more than pray until you have prayed." (John Bunyan) The Deacons' ministries of prayer include our Cordon of Prayer, praying daily and confidentially for all prayer requests, and our First Pres Prayer Team (FPPT) a a team with a mission that meets and prays regularly and specifically for the pastors, staff, worship & The Word, programs and mission partners of FPC. This team also helps members grow in their prayer lives and prays for the advance of God’s Kingdom in the world! FPPT welcomes you to become a part of First Pres prayer mission. No special talent is needed! Simply come to the Prayer Room at the front of the sanctuary on Sunday morning, or contact Deacon Chester Goodale for more information.
- In-Touch - For those who find it difficult to get to worship and other activities, our Deacons minister by staying In-Touch with them at least every couple of weeks. We do this in a variety of ways, including visits, phone calls, and sending notes or cards.
- Care Coordinator - When special care needs arise within the congregation (e.g., surgery, death in the family, lingering illness, acute illness, etc.), Care Coordinators administrate the various ways our congregation provides care. These may include meals, transportation, chaplain support. Contact Ataloa Woodin if you have the gifts of administration and mercy and would like to learn more about this vital ministry.
- Transportation for congregants unable to drive to Worship services or medical appointments can be arranged by contacting the church office.
- If you are looking for Daily Devotional Resources, we supply two publications Our Daily Bread and The Upper Room free of charge. They can be found on the church entry bulletin board.
- Memorial Receptions - Funerals and Memorial services are often followed by a reception in our Fellowship Hall. Our Deacons arrange for and serve at memorial receptions, showing Christian compassion to those who are grieving and have gathered to honor and remember their loved one.
- Stephen Ministries - Stephen Ministries provides special training to those who will provide one-on-one Christian care to people in this church and community. Stephen ministers listen, care, encourage and provide emotional and spiritual support to people going through a difficult time or crisis. If you would like to learn more about becoming a Stephen minister or how you might receive the support of a Stephen Minister, please contact Ataloa Woodin.