Dear First Pres,
This coming Wednesday, September 13 we're launching our fall series of Wednesday Nights @FPC. There will be ministries for every group - our youngest to our most mature. The men will be engaging in an inductive Bible study. The women will be doing a study by Jen Pollock Michel based on her 2015 Christianity Today Book of the Year, Teach us to Want. The kid's programs are all planned. The only question is this: will you be here?
Before you answer, let me answer another important question: Why Wednesday Nights @FPC?
- It moves our church beyond Sunday morning. While worship attendance is extremely important, it can't accomplish all we're called to do. Wednesday Nights @FPC gives us another touchpoint during the week to encourage one another.
- It grows our relational health deep and wide. Wednesday Nights @FPC help us to connect more deeply with people we already know in the congregation while also introducing us to people we haven't met.
- It engages us in our Christ-centered purpose. Our purpose is to engage together in Christ's work of making disciples for the redeeming transformation of our city and world. WednesdayNights @FPC is one of our primary strategies for living into that purpose. Some of you may not feel like you need a Bible study. That's okay, but your engagement might be for someone else's benefit. Please consider coming not for what you receive, but for what and to whom you might give.
- It's an opportunity to serve kids. We still need some folks to serve our preschool and elementary kids. If there was ever a time to rally around the kids of our church and community, it is now. They need to know afresh that they are deeply loved by the Lord and His Church (us).
And, finally, this:
- It's another way for us to "lean in full of grace and truth." Right now, I believe God is calling us to a particular season of community building. We need to support and encourage one another as God strengthens us for His mission in our city and world. Since we're not gathering as Community Groups this fall, it puts even more emphasis on Wednesday Nights @FPC. If your default has been to skip out on the Wednesday night stuff, I encourage you to reconsider. Especially in this season, use it as a way to lean in.
Yes, I know that there are some of you who simply cannot come. This letter is not meant to make you feel guilty. But I do hope it helps you understand the reasons behind our efforts.
We start next week, Wednesday, September 13 at 6:30pm. We're ending at 8:00 pm. We will NOT be serving dinner, but we do hope that you come a bit early so that you can get signed in and connected before we start. We'll run for 10 straight weeks: September 13 - November 15. May the Lord use it to advance His Kingdom in us.
P.S. We'll also be launching Stephen Minister training on Wednesdays. Stephen Ministers do the invaluable work of providing one-to-one care for people experiencing a difficult time in life. Some of you have been thinking about stepping out in this way. Do it! The training material is excellent, and the ministry is incredibly important. Contact Pastor Lana Roberts for more information.